/Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions 2018-02-19T16:18:49-07:00

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I submit/ complete my College registration renewal? 2019-02-19T11:52:13-07:00

All renewals must be completed online through the College Registrant Portal by July 31, 2019.  Applications sent by mail, fax or email will not be accepted.

To complete your registration:

  1. Go tohttp://www.chirobc.com/
  2. Click on the “Registrant Login” link in the top right corner of the page
  3. Enter your email address and password
  4. Click on the renewal button and proceed through the screens.
How do I reset my password? 2018-02-19T14:49:38-07:00

There are two options to reset your password.  Please note that passwords must be a minimum of 6 characters.

Password Reset by Email

  1. Go to http://www.chirobc.com/
  2. Click on the “Registrant Login” link in the top right corner of the page.
  3. Click on the “I’ve forgotten my password” link
  4. You will be asked to provide the answer to your security question
  5. An email will be sent to you with instructions on how to reset your password for the new CCBC online system.
  6. Password reset emails are only good for 24 hours. You will receive an error if you try to reset using the link in an email that was requested more than 1 day prior.  If several password recovery emails were requested in a short amount of time, you must use the LATEST email as the previous ones will have expired.

Create a temporary password with your cellphone

If you have already entered your cell phone into the system, you may:

  1. Go to http://www.chirobc.com/
  2. Click on the “Registrant Login” link in the top right corner of the page.
  3. Click on the “Sign in with your cellphone” link
  4. Enter your email address.
  5. You will be asked to provide the answer to your security question.
  6. A text message containing a verification code will be sent to your cell phone.  The code will act as a temporary password and expires within 1 hour.
I don’t have a security question. How do I reset my password? 2019-05-06T16:38:32-07:00

You must contact the CCBC office within regular business hours to reset your password. Please allow sufficient time to ensure that your registration and payment can be processed before the renewal deadline of July 31, 2019.

I want to set up a temporary password by cell phone, but the system says I am not set up to do so. How can I use this feature? 2019-02-19T14:47:15-07:00

You must contact the CCBC office within regular business hours to verify your account and set up this feature.  Please allow sufficient time to ensure that your registration and payment can be processed by July 31, 2019.

I have started completing my renewal but don’t have time to finish it now. Can I save my application? 2019-05-06T16:33:17-07:00

Yes, the system will automatically save the information you have entered.  Simply log back into the renewal page when you have time to complete it and you can resume your application where you left off.  You must complete all requirements no later than Wednesday, July 31, 2019.  If you require assistance, you must contact the CCBC Office during regular business hours.

I am having trouble with my renewal. Where can I get help? 2019-02-19T14:51:47-07:00

Please contact the CCBC office within regular business hours (Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm excluding holidays) at (604) 742-6470 or toll-free at 877-742-6470 if you require assistance with your renewal. Please allow sufficient time to ensure that your registration and payment can be processed before the deadline.

I don’t have a computer. How can I renew? 2019-02-19T15:16:35-07:00

If you do not have a computer to renew your registration online, you must make arrangements to find another computer to complete the process by July 31, 2019.

A couple of options include:

  • Visit the CCBC Office during regular business hours (Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm excluding holidays) to renew your registration.
  • Ask a family member, friend or colleague if you can use their computer to renew your registration.

Visit a public library and renew your registration.

What are my renewal requirements for the 2019-2020 period? 2019-05-06T16:37:29-07:00

Full and Non Practising registrants are required to complete the following for the 2019-20 renewal period, no later than Wednesday, July 31, 2019:

  1. Online completion of the renewal application.
  2. Payment of the registration renewal fee.
  3. Payment of any other fee, ­levy or debt owed to the College.
  4. For full registrants, proof of having completed any applicable requirements of the quality assurance program.
  5. For incorporated registrants, online submission of corporation renewal form and payment of corporation renewal fee by July 31, 2019.
What happens if I do not complete the renewal requirements by July 31, 2019? 2019-02-19T15:20:29-07:00

Failure to comply with the HPA and Bylaws by July 31, 2019 will result in cancellation of your registration on August 1, 2019.  Billing accounts for your practice will be cancelled (MSP, Blue Cross, etc.).  The CCBC will also inform your insurance provider that your registration has lapsed which will result in terminated liability insurance.

Upon cancellation, registrants must apply for reinstatement if they wish to resume practice.  The fee to apply for reinstatement is $320, in addition to annual dues.

The reinstatement process takes 3-5 business days.

When I login, the system does not give me the option to renew. What do I do? 2019-02-19T15:21:33-07:00

You may be restricted from renewing due to failure to complete one or more quality assurance requirements.  Once these requirements are met, you must contact the CCBC office during regular business hours in advance of the July 31, 2019 deadline to lift the restriction and enable your ability to renew your registration.

Please allow for 3-5 business days to lift restrictions.

How can I pay for my renewal? 2019-05-06T16:35:32-07:00

Payments can be made online by credit card or by mailed cheque or money order. Cheque/money order payments must be received by the CCBC office no later than 4:30pm on Wednesday, July 31, 2019.  Bank transfers are not accepted. Credit card numbers are not accepted over the phone or by email/fax.

Where can I find information about enrolling in Pre-Authorized Payments (PAP)? 2019-06-17T14:44:24-07:00

Registrants have the opportunity to enroll in pre-authorized payments for the upcoming dues cycle (please note, registration dues for the 2019-20 cycle are due July 31, 2019 and are not eligible for PAP).  If you are interested in enrolling in PAP for the 2020-21 dues cycle, please complete the PAP enrollment form, including a copy of a void cheque and fax to 604-742-6471 or email to Accounting@chirobc.com.  Alternately, once your renewal is complete with payment of dues, your online account will display information about the PAP option. If you click on the option to receive more information about PAP we will email you the form with instructions on how to get started.  The PAP schedule runs from August through until May (10 payments).

How can I tell if I am successfully registered? 2019-02-19T15:25:27-07:00

Once you have successfully registered, you will receive an email confirming your status for the 2019-20 year.  In addition, you may verify your status in the online registry.

  1. Go to http://registry.chirobc.com/
  2. After you consent to the disclaimer, enter your name and search
  3. If you see a future status, effective August 1, 2019, you have successfully renewed.
How do I get a copy of my certificate of registration? 2018-02-26T11:26:49-07:00

Certificate of registration is available 48 hours after you have successfully renewed and paid your licensing fees.

  1. Go to chirobc.com and click on the Registrant Login link in the top right hand corner
  2. Login with your email address and password
  3. Click on certificates in the Online Services Section
  4. Locate the Certificate of Registration section and populate your certificate.
Can I renew my BCCA membership when I renew my College registration? 2019-02-19T15:28:10-07:00

No, BCCA membership and College registration are done separately.  Association renewal can be done at www.bcchiro.com

Registrants who do not renew their BCCA membership by July 31, 2019 must provide the College with proof of liability insurance, effective August 1, 2019.

Who can I speak with regarding my BCCA dues? 2018-02-19T14:49:54-07:00

Please call the BC Chiropractic Association at 604-270-1332 or email registration@bcchiro.com

How do I renew my corporation? 2018-02-19T14:49:38-07:00

If you already have a corporation on file, you will be asked to confirm the details of the corporation and pay your renewal fee at the time you renew your license.  If you are a director of a corporation along with another registrant, the registrant who opens a renewal application first will be required to confirm the details and pay the renewal fee.  Corporation renewal must be completed by July 31 each year.

How do I get a copy of my health professions corporation permit? 2019-02-19T16:21:20-07:00

Incorporation permits will be available online for printing after July 31, 2019.

To obtain a copy of your permit after July 31, 2019:

  1. Go to chirobc.com and click on the Registrant Login link in the top right hand corner
  2. Login with your email address and password
  3. Click on certificates in the Online Services section
  4. Locate the Health Corporation Permit section and populate your certificate.
Why am I being asked about Cultural Competency Training during renewal? 2019-05-15T17:04:09-07:00

The CCBC, along with many other BC health regulators including the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC and the College of Registered Nurses of BC, is collecting data on Cultural Competency training in an effort to assist the First Nations Health Authority (FNHA) and the UBC Centre for Excellence in Indigenous Health (CEIH).  This information is shared in aggregate with CEIH.

The Indigenous Cultural Competency (San’yas) training program is provided by the Provincial Health Services Authority.  The College strongly encourages all registrants to take part in this meaningful educational opportunity which aims to promote culturally safe health care delivery.  The course is online and is eligible for 8 structured continuing education credits at a cost of $300.

For more information or to register, go to: http://www.sanyas.ca/training/british-columbia/core-ics-health

Why do I need to consent to a criminal record check if I am non-practising? 2018-02-19T14:49:54-07:00

The Criminal Record Review Act requires all registrants of a College to consent to a criminal record check at least once every five years.  During your College renewal, you will be prompted to consent to a criminal record check if you have not already done so in the last five years and/or you have declared being convicted or charged with a criminal offense that the College is not yet aware of.  The Act does not distinguish between practising and non-practising registrants.

Failure to consent to the criminal record check could impact your ability to renew and may require investigation by the Inquiry Committee.

Where can I find a copy of my CCBC receipt? 2018-02-26T11:36:00-07:00

Receipts are available online for printing approximately 48 hours after you have successfully paid.

  1. Go to chirobc.com
  2. Click on the Registrant Login link at the top right corner.
  3. Enter your email address and password to login
  4. Click on the receipt link in the Online Services section
  5. Select the year in the drop down menu for the receipt you wish to locate.
Do I need a referral to see a chiropractor? 2018-02-19T14:49:37-07:00

No, a referral is not required to see a chiropractor. Chiropractic doctors are primary health care providers.

How can I make a complaint about a chiropractic doctor? 2018-02-19T16:18:53-07:00

Complaints must be in writing to the attention of the CCBC Registrar by one of two ways:

By completing the online form

or by mail to:

College of Chiropractors of BC
#212-10451 Shellbridge Way
Richmond, BC V6X 2W8

For more information on complaints, go to the Make a Complaint page.

What can I expect from my chiropractor? 2018-02-19T16:18:53-07:00

Visits to a chiropractor’s office are similar to what one might experience at any other health clinic. Under BC legislation including the Health Professions Act, there is a strict set of guidelines and objectives that each chiropractic doctor must adhere to when evaluating and treating patients.

Learn more about what to expect from your chiropractor

Read the Patient’s Charter of Rights

What legislation are chiropractors required to follow? 2018-02-19T14:49:54-07:00

Chiropractic doctors are bound to several different legislative requirements:

  • The Health Professions Act (HPA)
  • Chiropractic Regulations
  • CCBC Bylaws
  • Professional Conduct Handbook

In addition, there is other legislation that is not specific to health care that chiropractors must also be mindful of, including but not limited to:

  • Criminal Code of Canada
  • Freedom of Information and Privacy Protection Act (FIPPA)
  • Limitations Act of BC
  • Consent Act
  • Canadian Anti-Spam Laws
What is informed consent? 2018-02-19T14:49:53-07:00

All health care providers are required to provide informed consent to the patient prior to the delivery of any services or treatment. There are several components that a chiropractic doctor must complete to provide informed consent:

  • Provide a diagnosis
  • Discuss treatment options
  • Inform the patient of alternative treatment or care types
  • Anticipated outcomes from care
  • Advise the patient of costs associated with treatment
  • Obtain the patient’s consent including a written consent to proceed with treatment.
  • Ensure that the patient understands all of the above.

It is paramount that the chiropractic doctor communicates clearly with the patient to convey all of the parameters involved with informed consent so that the patient then has the information to make an informed choice about their health care.

How do I know if my chiropractor has been disciplined? 2018-02-19T16:18:53-07:00

The CCBC is required to publish disciplinary actions for serious matters. There are two ways to find disciplinary actions for chiropractors:

1. Go to the Professional Conduct Notices page. Please note that this page only displays discipline notices for one year.

2. Go to the “Find a Chiropractor” page and search for a chiropractor. If they were disciplined in BC at any time, the notice appears with their information.

How do I verify if my chiropractor is licensed? 2018-02-19T14:49:38-07:00

The CCBC maintains an up to date registry of chiropractic doctors in BC. Please visit the “Find a Chiropractor” tool to search for your chiropractic doctor or one near you. All chiropractors, regardless of status are listed so it is important to note the words “Full registrant” as their current status.

Are chiropractic doctors subject to criminal record checks? 2018-02-19T14:49:37-07:00

Yes. Upon registration or reinstatement, chiropractic doctors are required to complete a Canadian criminal record check for working with children and vulnerable adults. If the chiropractor has also worked in a jurisdiction outside of Canada, the CCBC requires a criminal record check from that jurisdiction.

Every five years, each chiropractic doctor is required to complete another criminal record check. By law, all registrants and authorities are required to report any convictions to the CCBC.

What requirements do chiropractors need to complete to ensure continued competency? 2018-02-19T14:49:54-07:00

The CCBC through the Quality Assurance Committee is tasked with ensuring the clinical competency of chiropractic doctors in BC. All chiropractic doctors must complete at least 40 hours of continuing education every two year cycle that directly relates to the scope of practice of chiropractic.

The CCBC can also mandate specific courses or learning events for registrants as needed within a continuing education cycle, for example, boundaries and sensitivities training, clinical record keeping seminars or privacy compliance training.

What education does a chiropractic doctor have? 2018-02-19T14:49:53-07:00

To become a chiropractic doctor, individuals must have at least 3 years of post-secondary education with a focus on science and biology studies. Many students also obtain their bachelor of science prior to attending an accredited chiropractic college. The doctor of chiropractic degree involves a four-year program at an accredited school.

In addition, the CCBC requires that all chiropractic doctors complete 40 hours of continuing education every two years to maintain their clinical competency. These learning events must fall within the scope of practice of chiropractic and demonstrate a benefit to patient care.

Why is it important to ensure my chiropractic doctor is licensed? 2018-02-19T14:49:54-07:00

Your health and safety are the most important reason why you should make sure that your chiropractor is licensed in BC. The CCBC sets the minimum standards to practice in this province which include:

  • Graduation from an accredited chiropractic college,
  • Completion of the Canadian Chiropractic Exam (CCEB Canada),
  • Ongoing continuing education requirements,
  • Criminal record checks upon registration and every 5 years,
  • Review of clinical practice every 5 years and,
  • Compliance with all governing legislation and guidelines.

Standards are put in place to ensure that you receive appropriate and safe care. It is illegal to practice chiropractic in BC without registration through the CCBC.