At the November 29, 2023 the College Board approved the results from the year long process of operationalizing CCBC’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Policy through benchmarking. After evaluating our practices over the past year, CCBC shared the following findings.
We are grateful for CCBC’s Board and Governance committee’s foresight in collaboration with staff for establishing a place in “Best Practice,” level 5, in the Leadership category forging ahead with the DEI baseline measurement strategy using the Global Diversity Equity and Inclusion Benchmarking (GDEIB)* framework.
With diligence in implementing initiatives across the rest of the 14 categories in operations the College benchmarked consistently in “Proactive,” level 3.
Since the summation of the DEI baseline work, we have also tracked several categories that are benchmarking at level 4. This includes:
- Integration of inclusive and equitable strategic goals
- Unconscious bias learning planning for 2024 to contribute to recruitment and people practices
- Engaging with Elder Xwechtaal Dennis Joseph, – we thank Elder Xwechtaal for sharing traditional wisdom and culture from the Squamish Nation with us, and
- Ensuring we continuously reflect the diversity of our people, practices and accomplishments in communications, such as in our latest annual report, website updates, LinkedIn feed and videos.
Through this process we recognized that diversity equity and inclusion is a journey, one where we hope to continue to learn and grow.
Immersed in the amalgamation process, looking towards the next steps in our DEI journey, we are encouraged by the positive results we have made so far. Our greatest hope is that we can continue to build on the momentum we established with our health regulatory peers through amalgamation and beyond. Recommendations for a collaborative path ahead, keeping in mind flexibility and adaptability as needed, were shared in the spirit of the evolving continuity and scale of diversity, equity and inclusion strategies in the future.
* From Global Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Benchmarks: Standards for Organizations Around the World © 2021, Nene Molefi, Julie O’Mara, and Alan Richter. Used with permission. All Rights Reserved